Application deadline extended! Interviews begin the week of September 18!
100% College and Career Ready is now seeking caring, compassionate, and committed individuals (high school sophomores and older) to serve as counselors to tutor, mentor, and lead local middle and high school students at the Main Library during after-school hours throughout the 2017-2018 academic year.
Over the last year, library staff members Robert Simmons, Manager for Community Resources, and Stephen Jackson, Community Resources Specialist, have worked with E-Team of Oak Park and River Forest leaders Frances Kraft and Sheree Johnson, Corey Williams from Triton College’s TRIUMPH and SURGE mentor programs, and additional community partners to create what is now branded as the 100% College and Career Ready initiative.
More about 100% College and Career Ready
In its first year, 100% College and Career Ready will focus on:
- Relationship building through the use of peace circles
- Academic tutoring and skill building, with a strong focus on math concepts
- Training in community organizing to promote work on issues related to social justice
- Hands-on activities, including coding, spoken word, and digital media with professionals
- Sessions on organization, study habits, and charting a course for high school success
- Visits by professionals in various fields to provide career information and advice
100% College and Career Ready also will build a strong family network for wider access to and navigation of school and community resources available for children to be successful. The initiative will continue throughout the school year.