About working here
We are engagers: turning and focusing outward toward our community. We are learners: listening to what our community tells us and acting purposefully to achieve our objectives. We are stewards: defending our shared values, using vital resources responsibly, and working collaboratively with our partners to prepare for the future. Learn more about the library's mission and vision, meet our staff and follow us on Linked In.
Safety and Security Monitor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Engages with patrons and staff in a positive, effective manner.
· Provides excellent customer service to all staff and patrons.
· Defuses conflicts among library patrons.
· Proactively works to prevent problem situations.
· Responds to incidents and emergencies.
· Makes frequent visits through entire facility to ensure safety and security.
· Works routinely at the Main Library and the Branches.
· Closes and secures the Main Library. May open the Main Library. May open, close, and secure the Branch Libraries.
· Writes reports and gathers information to be shared with staff and that may be used in a court of law to prosecute offenders.
· Contacts Police as needed, including filing complaints and making court appearances.
· Maintains professional working relationships with Oak Park Police personnel and local businesses.
· May participate in training of new safety staff members.
· Participates in safety and security meetings as a representative of the Library.
· Reads professional literature and maintain working knowledge of latest trends in the field of library security.
· Provides support to the Library’s Maintenance staff as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of customers and staff throughout the Library and outside the organization.
· Ability to effectively deescalate a wide variety conflicts.
· Ability to communicate effectively, comfortably, and intelligibly in person, on the phone, and in writing.
· Ability to multi-task many variable duties, requests, and responsibilities.
· Ability to read, understand, and interpret manuals, policies and procedures, rules, regulations, journals, memos, letters, reports, and legal documents.
· Ability to pass a background check.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Must possess a high school diploma or GED and must possess two (2) or more years of work experience with safety monitoring. Prior work experience in law enforcement is preferred. Prior experience in a customer service environment is desirable.
Starting salary is $14.50 per hour. Scheduled for 15 hours per week, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. until 11 a.m.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the attention of Robert Simmons, Manager Community Resources at email@example.com not later than Monday, January 30, 2017.
Part time –15 hours per week
Are you positive, dynamic, creative and community focused? We are looking for friendly and approachable people to join our staff as Library Assistants in our Branch and Access Services Department.
You will love this job if:
- You are always looking for opportunities to make people feel welcome - at the library you would help customers check out material, register them for library cards, help them with fees or assist them with copying and faxing.
- You are fun and kid-friendly - you understand how to make people of all ages feel important and cared for at the library and would go out of your way to make sure everyone leaves with a smile on their face.
- You take pride in your surroundings - you would make sure that our spaces are clean and tidy and our displays are refreshed.
- You see the big picture - you understand when to jump in and help.
- You see every decision you make and action you take as an opportunity to demonstrate our collective integrity.
- You would prefer to be out on the floor with the library customers helping them with all of their needs, rather than be behind a desk.
- You know your way around technology - you have the ability to explain basic computer skills and new media to users.
- You are an avid reader, viewer and/or listener and enjoy sharing your favorites.
- You have an optimistic attitude - you believe that anything is possible.
This job requires a high school diploma; some college is preferred. Two years experience working in a library, retail and/or hospitality setting is strongly preferred. Evening and weekend availability is required. Shifts average 4 to 5 hours, and can be on any service desk at any of our three locations. Salary begins at $14.50 per hour.
Please send a completed resume with cover letter to: Martyn Churchouse, Branch and Access Services Assistant Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, January 30, 2017.