About working here
We are engagers: turning and focusing outward toward our community. We are learners: listening to what our community tells us and acting purposefully to achieve our objectives. We are stewards: defending our shared values, using vital resources responsibly, and working collaboratively with our partners to prepare for the future. Learn more about the library's mission and vision, meet our staff, and follow us on LinkedIn.
The Oak Park Public Library is seeking fun, friendly, and patient individuals to serve as After-School Mentors during our busy after-school hours. Mentors will supervise and serve as role models to middle school-aged library patrons (ages approximately 10-14) in Children’s Services.
In addition to providing general supervision and interaction, mentors will lead patrons ages 10-14 in games, crafts, and other activities, while ensuring that library rules of behavior are followed. Mentors are encouraged to bring their individual skills, strengths, and interests to this role.
This is a temporary, part-time position that pays $10.50 per hour, for up to 10 hours per week. Each After-School Mentor will work two to three weekday shifts from 3:30 to 6:30 pm for the duration of the 2017-2018 school year. Occasional weekend shifts are possible.
- Assist in making sure kids are following library rules of behavior and being respectful to the space and to other patrons
- Assist Children’s Librarians with programming and other tasks
- Lead games and activities and engage with participants
- Assist in keeping departmental supplies, equipment, and space clean and organized
- Occasionally assist staff with scheduled events
- Must have supervisory experience with kids ages 10-14
- Must enjoy working with middle school-aged kids and be able to empathize with them
- Must possess basic knowledge of a variety of age-appropriate activities or skills applicable to assignment
- Background in recreation, education, or related field is preferred
- Experience as a camp counselor or tutor to tweens is preferred
- High school upperclassmen with the appropriate skills and experience will be considered
Please email a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of Jennifer Norborg, Assistant Manager of Children’s Services, no later than Friday, September 29, 2017.