About working here
We are engagers: turning and focusing outward toward our community. We are learners: listening to what our community tells us and acting purposefully to achieve our objectives. We are stewards: defending our shared values, using vital resources responsibly, and working collaboratively with our partners to prepare for the future. Learn more about us and meet our staff.
Are you a customer-service oriented person and a fast learner with a solid working knowledge of PCs and Windows software? Do you like public libraries and support their mission to provide lifelong learning and enjoyment to the public?
If so, the Oak Park Public Library is looking for a qualified part-time Tech Aide to assist people with our public computers at the third floor Technology Center and Computer Classroom. The Tech Aides will provide assistance with logging onto our PC time-management system, using our print management system, navigating the operating system and productivity software, accessing and navigating the Internet and other applications. Basic monitoring of equipment condition, supply levels such as paper and toner, and cleaning, organizing, general upkeep of equipment are also core duties.
This is a 15 hour/week position at $12.17/hour. The current available schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM OR Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Support the library’s online presence and technology services efforts to meet the needs of the public and uphold the library’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Responsible for basic upkeep of existing computer equipment and peripherals.
- Assist with some degree of equipment maintenance and deployment.
- Monitor consumable levels and equipment conditions, addressing identified problems or referring to Digital Services staff.
- Provide assistance with technology training for internal users and the public.
- Develop organizational and technical skills as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Required skills and experience:
- Proven ability with and knowledge of personal computers, operating systems, software, and networking.
- Working knowledge of PCs, Windows 7 Operating System, Microsoft Office 2010 suite, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.
- Previous experience providing direct customer service.
- Proven ability to teach and convey information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Understands, embraces, and actively supports the vision, mission and goals of the Oak Park Public Library.
- Library experience preferred. Desire to work within a public library preferred.
- Possesses patience, tolerance, and the ability to successfully interact with all skill levels and personalities.
- Open to diverse people with wide range of goals and interests, and committed to fostering an environment of lifelong learning and enjoyment.
- Remains calm while clarifying errors or problems, considering all points of view.
- Applies tact and good judgment to every situation.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in scheduling and duties.
- Demonstrates a commitment to public service.
- Finds creative approaches to providing or improving services.
- Maintains customer confidence and trust.
- Effectively uses technology and tools within the library.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to the attention of Eric Battaglia, Manager Digital Services at email@example.com not later than Monday, October 12, 2015.