Take a historic photo tour of the Main Library. Browse images by clicking any caption listed below, and the red bars at the bottom of this page.

The Scoville Institute in 1903, the same year the private subscription library became public when citizens elected the first Library Board of Trustees.

In the late 19th century, James W. Scoville helped establish a Pastor's Library room at First Congregational Church (now First United Church). The private subscription library moved into the newly constructed Scoville Institute at 834 Lake Street in 1888. In 1902 Oak Park voters approved a tax to fund a public library. In 1903 the library became public when citizens elected the first Library Board of Trustees. - See more at: http://oppl.org/about/library-information/hours-locations/library-histor...