Have a question about the new catalog? Just ask us, we're here to help.
The new catalog launched on Tuesday, April 14. Our commitments to resource sharing, helping you use the catalog, and getting the most from your library experience remain unchanged. Please contact us now  or call directly with any questions:
- Main Library, 708.383.8200 (press option 3)
- Dole Branch, 708.386.9032
- Maze Branch, 708.386.4751
- Download the new catalog Quick Start Guide 
Anywhere, anytime access
Your library is always open, and your account accessible from anywhere, anytime with your library card barcode number and your personal identification number, or PIN.
All PINs were reset
- All PINs were reset on Tuesday, April 14 , as the last four digits of each account's primary phone number.
- Need help determining your PIN? Ask at any library service desk or contact us now .
Log in to your account
- Access our new catalog directly at https://catalog.swanlibraries.
- If you bookmarked any catalog pages before April 14, those bookmarks will need to be updated.
- Click “My Account” in the upper right corner to view your checkouts and holds, pay fines, and more.
- Within your account page you may also view your personal information, change your PIN, and set your preferences.
Change your PIN
Once you have logged in to your account, you may change your PIN if you desire. Here's how:
- Click on the “Personal Information” tab.
- Click “Change PIN.”
- Enter your current PIN (the last four digits of your primary phone number).
- Enter your desired new PIN.
- Confirm your new PIN by entering it again.
- Click “Update.”
Your new PIN should now be saved. Questions? Please ask us in person at any library location, call us at 708.383.8200 (press option 3), and contact us now .
Set your preferences
With the new catalog comes new opportunities for setting personal preferences in the “Preferences” section of your account page. These include:
- “Default Language” lets you select which language you want the system to use.
- “Default My Account Tab” lets you select which tab opens when you access your account.
- “Default Checkouts View” lets you choose to view your digital checkouts or library (physical) checkouts when you first open the "Checkouts" tab.
- “Show my checkout history” and “Record my checkout history” enable the system to keep track of materials you borrow.
Search the catalog
With the new catalog, search once to find physical and digital materials.
- Type your search term in the search box at the top of the page and click “Search.”
- Browsable results will appear in the middle of the page.
- Look to the left for ways to fine-tune your results by format, author, language, and more.
- Create more specific searches with the two drop-down boxes in the search bar.
- The first drop-down allows you to limit results to only physical materials, only digital materials, or only materials owned at your home library.
- The second drop-down allows you to search by title, author, subject, and more.
- Results can be sorted by relevance, title, author, or more with the drop-down at the upper right.
- Watch this SWAN video to see some new catalog highlights.
Renew an item
Once you have logged in to your account, you may renew some items. Here's how:
- Click the check box to the left of the item you’d like to renew.
- Click the “Renew” button.
- Confirm that you wish to renew the selected item.
Place a hold
- After finding an item, click “Place Hold.”
- If you are not logged in, you will be asked to enter your card number and PIN.
- The item will appear on your account page under the “Holds” tab.
Check out a digital item
- After logging in and finding an item, select either the "Download" button (for available-now content) or the "Place Hold" button (for items that are checked out).
- Follow the prompts to select the format you need (when multiple options are available).
- Not sure what option you need? Review a list of digital formats  available through the catalog.
See what you've checked out
- The “Checkouts” tab has three sections: "Library Checkouts," "Digital Checkouts," and "Checkout History."
- If you have any overdue items, an alert icon will appear in this tab.
- The "Library Checkouts" tab shows physical items that you currently have checked out.
- The "Digital Checkouts" tab shows ebooks and other digital materials that you currently have checked out.
- If you have chosen to keep a record of your checkout history, you can view it under the "Checkout History" section.