What Do You Need Help With?
For additional assistance with logging in to your account or for help with other difficulties, visit or contact the Library at 708-383-8200 or email@example.com . You can also explore these instructional screencast videos  for more help getting started.
“My Account ” shows which books you have checked out, when they are due, what items you have requested and any overdue fines. This feature also allows you to renew items that you have checked out.
- Enter your last name (including punctuation), library card number and PIN.
- Review your requests, your fines, or the items that you currently have checked out.
- View due dates for currently checked out items.
You can also:
- Opt in to keep a history of everything you check out
- Change your email address
Why am I getting an Account in Use message when I login?
Your account is most likely already open. For example, if a staff person has your account open while checking in items you have returned, no one else can access your account. Occasionally, a record gets "locked" and has to be unlocked by staff. If this happens, call the Library at 708-383-8200 to have your record unlocked.
You cannot access your account when the system is down for maintenance on:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:45 pm - 11:15 pm
Wednesday 9:45 pm - 11:45 pm
Saturday 5:30 pm - 6:45 pm
Sunday 8:45 pm - 10:15 pm
You can check for the most current maintenance schedule through the maintenance hours link at the top of your account page.
What is a PIN?
- A PIN, or Personal Identification Number, keeps your library account secure.
- Your PIN can be any alpha/numeric combination you wish.
- If you have not established a pin, you may do so the first time you log in to your account by typing a PIN in the "Enter your PIN" field.
- You can change your PIN anytime after logging in to "My Account " by clicking on "Modify your PIN."
Verify your PIN by entering it twice.
Once you have submitted your verification you will be taken to your account.
If You Forget Your PIN you can reset it yourself as long as the email address in your account is current.
- Click on "Forgot your PIN? " and enter your name and library card number.
- You will receive an email with the subject line "Library catalog PIN reset request."
- Follow the link in the email to change your PIN. You will be asked to enter your name, library card number, and new PIN.
- If you don't complete this step within three hours of receiving the email, you will be asked to repeat your request.
- You can renew items by checking the boxes to the left and clicking "Renew Selected Items" or by clicking "Renew All".
- Your updated loan period begins the day you make the renewal. For example, if you renew a DVD from the Oak Park Public Library it will be due 7 days from the day you renew.
- Some SWAN items may not be renewable depending on the loaning library’s rules. If you have any problem renewing SWAN items online, call or visit the Library.
- You can place up to 30 requests in SWAN. Search the catalog by keyword, title, or author. You can search a specific library by using the dropdown menu.
- When you have found the item you want, click “Request.”
- If you have not already logged in, you will be prompted to do so.
- The screen will display “Your request for….was successful.” You will receive an email when the item is ready for pick-up at your “home library,” the Main Library, Dole Branch or Maze Branch. Call or visit the Library if you wish staff to change your designated “home library.”
- Your holds will remain on the hold shelf for one week.
Where can I pick up my holds?
All requests will be sent to your "home library” and will remain on the hold shelf for one week. Your "home library" can be the Main Library, Dole Branch Library, or Maze Branch Library, whichever is most convenient for you. Your home library cannot be changed via your online account, but can be changed by calling or visiting the Library.
Where am I on the list for an item I requested?
Library staff can tell you how many holds have been placed on a title and how many copies are available, but your exact place in line cannot be determined due to the way holds are filled. Oak Park copies go to Oak Park residents first, but holds are also being filled for Oak Park residents by the 79 other libraries in our system.
Why can't I request an item I see in the catalog?
Each library in SWAN decides on the loan rules for their own items. While all items appear in the library catalog, some items (ex., reference or rare items) may not be checked out and some items cannot be placed on hold. If the item you want is the only copy in the library catalog and it cannot be placed on hold, you have the option of interlibrary loan from libraries outside of the SWAN consortium. Use our Make A Request  form or call 708-452-3440 to place your interlibrary loan request.
- Log-in to your account.
- Click the Request link.
- You have the option to "Cancel All" or "Cancel Selected". To "Cancel Selected" choose hold(s) to be canceled by clicking the box before the listed title.
Pay fines online  with a Visa, Discover or Mastercard.
How are fines calculated?
- For DVDs and video games owned by the Oak Park Public Library, the overdue fine is $1 a day.
- For all other items owned by the Oak Park Public Library, the overdue fine is $.25 a day.
- The fine rate for an item from another library in SWAN may be more or less. Loan periods of other libraries vary as well.
- Fines accumulate for a maximum of six weeks an item is overdue.
- Borrowing privileges are blocked on Oak Park Public Library cards with $5 or more in fines and fees.