About working here
We are engagers: turning and focusing outward toward our community. We are learners: listening to what our community tells us and acting purposefully to achieve our objectives. We are stewards: defending our shared values, using vital resources responsibly, and working collaboratively with our partners to prepare for the future. Learn more about the library's mission and vision , meet our staff  and follow us on Linked In .
After School Mentor
Oak Park Public Library is seeking fun, friendly, patient individuals to serve as After School Mentors during our busy after school hours. Mentors will supervise and serve as role models to younger library patrons (aged approximately 10-14) in the Children’s Dept.
In addition to general supervision/interaction, mentors will lead younger patrons in games, crafts, and other activities, while ensuring that library rules are followed. College students in recreation, education, or related field preferred. High school upperclassman with the appropriate skills and experience will be considered. Experience as a camp counselor or tutor to tweens highly preferred.
- Must understand and enjoy middle school-aged kids, and be able to empathize with them.
- Must possess basic knowledge of a variety of age appropriate activities or skills applicable to assignment.
- Prepared to lead games or craft projects.
- Understand, communicate, and assist in making sure kids are following library rules, being respectful to the space and to other patrons.
- Occasionally assist staff with scheduled events and programs.
- Assist in keeping departmental supplies, equipment, and space clean and organized.
This position is a temporary/seasonal position up to 10 hours per week which pays $10.50 per hour. Schedule is 2 -3 weekdays from 3:30-6:30 pm. Occasional week-end shift. Download the application now.  Please complete and return to Jennifer Norborg, Assistant Manager of Children’s Services or email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org  no later than Monday, February February 20, 2017.