About working here
We are engagers: turning and focusing outward toward our community. We are learners: listening to what our community tells us and acting purposefully to achieve our objectives. We are;stewards: defending our shared values, using vital resources responsibly, and working collaboratively with our partners to prepare for the future. Learn more about the library's mission and vision  and meet our staff .
Materials Services Librarian
Oak Park Public Library is seeking an innovative, flexible, forward thinking, and technology savvy librarian with passion for creating outstanding library collections and dedication to evidence-based decision-making to connect these collections to a dynamic and diverse community.
The main responsibilities include expert selection and deselection of library materials in all physical and digital formats, managing subscriptions of online resources, monitoring the budget for these areas, effective interaction with vendors, staying current with trends in publishing, reading, viewing, and listening, and collaborating with staff and the community to successfully develop and promote library collections. This position also provides direct customer service and participates in community engagement activities.
Strong technology skills, especially with online tools, media devices, and ILS, exceptional organization, project and time management, and interpersonal skills along with initiative, excellent work ethic, great judgment, and problem solving skills are essential to the position. Other essential qualifications for this position include strong service orientation, excellent communication and training skills, and demonstrated knowledge of statistics and data analysis.
The successful candidate needs to have an MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited institution and at least two years of library experience, including experience in collection development, digital collections and/or electronic resources management, and direct public service.
This position is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Salary range starts at $43,825 with excellent benefits.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Kathleen Spale, Assistant Manager of Materials Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org  by Friday, June 10, 2016.
Assistant Manager, Digital Services
Do you have a strong understanding of network environments, design, and security basics? Are you passionate about libraries and learning environments? Do you believe technology can support innovative and productive services to a diverse public?
We are looking for a people-focused, technology-driven IT or Information Science professional to help lead Digital Services throughout the organization. The Assistant Manager will be working with other Assistant Managers to collaboratively manage the delivery of library experiences and initiatives in library technology. A primary responsibility will be to coordinate major projects among staff and outsourced IT services.
Digital Services at the Oak Park Public Library is moving to an embedded, distributed model, and requires a collaborative Assistant Manager capable of working closely with others, sharing knowledge and finding creative ways to balance best practices in IT with the needs of an open organization. Direct supervision of staff who focus on: IT services, user experience strategy and development, digital learning, and customer helpdesk support.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science or other technology-related discipline, or equivalent experience, plus one year of relevant work experience
- CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+ and similar certification or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Demonstrated project management experience and/or certification
- Budgeting and inventory management
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both as part of a team and independently
- Able to work evening hours as scheduled and/or required
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a holistic view of Library technology that focuses on the user, technological competence at a higher than average level, curiosity, the ability to learn new systems and transfer that knowledge to others, and strong organizational and communication skills
MLIS or equivalent is not necessary, but Information School graduates and students are encouraged to apply.
This position is full-time 40 hours per week, with occasional off-hours availability for special Projects, and potential evening shifts. Salary range is $49,608 -- $74,401 with excellent benefits.
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Eric Battaglia, Manager for Digital Services at email@example.com . Preference is given to applications received by June 3rd. The Oak Park Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage diverse candidates to apply.
Digital Services Specialist
The Oak Park Public Library is looking for a people-focused, technology-driven IT professional to join the Digital Services Team. The Digital Services Specialist will perform work including but not limited to software rollouts and upgrades, server installation and support, RFID, self-checkout and security gate configuration and statistics, computer systems including Windows, Mac and Linux environments deployed throughout all three Library locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform day to day operations and tasks for the library’s telecommunications, local and wide area networks, network infrastructure equipment, servers, backup systems and practices, CCTV, SPAM filtering, Integrated Library System consortium, Automated Materials Handler, RFID systems, and other assigned systems.
- Work with the team to support the library’s online presence and technology services
- Troubleshoot and support users on PC hardware and software, help desk functions, documentation of systems and procedures
- Maintain, repair, and install new and existing computer equipment.
- Provide or assisting in technical training and direct assistance for internal users and the public.
- Participate in installation projects which may require working off hours.
- Maintain an awareness of products, services, technology applications, and trends by reading technology and library literature, news media, and blogs.
- Develop organizational, customer service, and technical skills as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science or other technology-related discipline, or equivalent experience, plus one year of relevant work experience. .
- A+, CompTIA, and similar certification or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Able to work evening hours as scheduled and/or required.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a holistic view of Library technology that focuses on the user, technological competence at a higher than average level, curiosity, the ability to learn new systems and transfer that knowledge to others, and strong organizational and communication skills.
MLS or equivalent is not necessary, but Information School graduates and students are encouraged to apply.
This position is full-time 40 hours per week, with occasional off-hours availability for special Projects, and 2 evening shifts per week. Salary range begins at $43,825.60 with excellent benefits.
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Eric Battaglia, Manager for Digital Services at firstname.lastname@example.org . The search is open until the position has been filled.
Web Developer Specialist
The Oak Park Public Library is looking for a people-focused, creative and organized Web Development Specialist to join the team of Digital Services. The Web Development Specialist will be responsible for the Library’s web presence and online services. Core duties include information architecture, project management, and evaluation of emerging platforms for social and web presences. This position will also be part of the Experiences and Initiatives team which encompasses all public services, and will have additional responsibilities accordingly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the Library’s online presence and efforts to uphold the Library’s mission, goals, and objectives
- Lead the Library’s intranet presence and the use of technology to communicate effectively within the organization
- Manage web and mobile app development projects
- Integrate third-party systems, software and services with the Library’s web presence
- Work with Digital Services staff to ensure updates and maintenance is performed on the software and hardware infrastructure that support the Library’s web presence
- Engage in the quarterly Web Content Review process and in establishing content request procedures
- Perform regular accessibility audits of the Library’s web presence and tests across multiple platforms
- Perform regular usability testing and customer research to ensure that the user experience is top priority
- Analysis and evaluation of usage statistics
- Collaborate with Communications Manager on social media strategy
- Assist in the planning, development and evaluation of new services
- Provide troubleshooting for patrons using the Library’s website, email, and social media presence
- Assist with online outreach to promote virtual and in-person library services
- Assist with some public service, including occasional service desk shifts, technology training, troubleshooting, and other potential services to the public
- Maintain and actively encourage the staff use of the Technology Toolkit as a learning tool.
- Maintain an awareness of products, services, technology applications, and trends by reading library and technology literature, news media, and blogs, and proactively seek out and recommend areas for improvement and innovation.
- Develop organizational and technical skills as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS:
- Web design or development BA or relevant experience
- Preferred MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution and/or relevant work experience in a public library or non-profit.
- Extensive experience administering a Drupal website is a must.
- Understanding of the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and Python) software stack model for web servers
- Proven ability with and knowledge of web-based technologies, personal computers, and mobile devices across a wide-range of platforms.
- Solid judgment and the ability to work independently.
- Technical competence and a willingness to learn and grow.
- Ability to write for the web.
- Strong track record of project management.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and as part of a team.
This position is full-time 40 hours per week, with occasional off-hours availability for special projects. Salary range begins at $43,825.60 with excellent benefits.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and portfolio of two to three completed web projects to Eric Battaglia, Manager for Digital Services at email@example.com  . This search is open until the position has been filled.