Jump to navigation
Babies & Toddlers
Exploring wonders at the library with babies and toddlers
- The Main Library Children’s Room is great for exploring, with resilient rubber flooring, comfy couches, a colorful aquarium, and plenty of opportunties to learn and connect. To spark young imaginations, the Main Library's Children's Room is stocked with blocks, dress-up clothes, puppets, and more for active play. Changing tables are available in family access restroom and lobby restrooms.
- Dole Branch offers its youngest visitors a dedicated early literacy corner.
- Maze Branch provides a cozy reading house in which to read and discover.
Attending classes and playgroups
- Storytime, especially for our youngest visitors, is one of our specialties.
- Many more events take place each month for the entire family, as well as for tweens, teens and adults. Browse our calendar now.
Looking for books, music, and shows on DVD
- Babies and toddlers love books, and we have thousands! Classic picture books, toddler-friendly books, hard-to-destroy board books, fun tactile books, books with CDs, audiobooks, and more!
- Babies and toddlers also love music and shows! Check out CDs marked “Toddler Favorites,” full of lullabies, classic rhymes and simple tunes, and DVDs featuring favorites such as Elmo, The Wiggles, and Yo Gabba Gabba.
- For parents and caregivers, browse our Parenting Collection. It includes books on child development, magazines, and more, all full of practical advice.
Connecting you to more
- Have your met our Children's Services library staff? They're always ready to work with you, to help you find what you need, when you need it.
- Looking for parenting support? A few sites we recommend include Birth to Three, Every Child Ready to Read and The Collaboration for Early Childhood.
- Wondering how to get the most out of your reading time? One guide we like is TRACKS: Talk, Respond, Ask Questions, Connect, Keep At It, Sing & Tell Stories.
- Looking for more to do with your little one? Check out Chicago Parent magazine, the library's Museum Adventure Passes, and just ask us, we're here to help!