Stewardship Strategic Initiative
The community of Oak Park, its residents and businesses, provides us with the funds to operate the Library and expects us to maintain the highest levels of efficiency and integrity. We practice transparent government and align our financial resources with our institutional goals and priorities across all three library facilities. We recognize that our financial resources are finite and we actively pursue alternative sources of funding.
12. Goal: Develop a comprehensive plan to maintain and upgrade library infrastructure (buildings, grounds, technology) to ensure safety, efficiency and the delivery of excellent library service. Balance opportunities for improvement against costs.
12.1 Objective: Determine and plan for upkeep-, upgrade- and replacement-costs for all systems on a continuing basis.
13. Goal: Reduce the environmental impact of the Library below current levels and be recognized as a community leader in this area.
13.1 Objective: Create an Environmental Task Force to explore energy efficiencies and ways to reduce the environmental impact of the Library.
14. Goal: Clearly define the role of all locations in achieving the Library mission.
14.1 Objective: Assess the relationship of locations to patron expectations and the Library as a whole.
14.2 Objective: Examine, determine and maintain collections and services appropriate to each location.
14.3 Objective: Examine (and adjust as necessary) all library hours to better meet the needs of our patrons.
14.4 Objective: Decide and communicate which staff responsibilities (collection, selection, programming, services) are centralized and which are decentralized.
14.5 Objective: Determine and implement adequate staffing to insure personal safety and meet patron needs for all locations.
15. Goal: Make the best use of available space.
15.1 Objective: Conduct regular usability studies of all locations and align spaces according to best use.
15.2 Objective: Evaluate and develop a plan for optimal usage of lobby space.
16. Goal: Align our budget with institutional goals and ensure our priorities and our budget process is open and transparent to all.
16.1 Objective: Develop a budget process that is transparent and actively encourages staff input.
16.2 Objective: Raise our cost consciousness and encourage staff participation in cost containment efforts.
16.3 Objective: Demonstrate operating efficiencies to the community.
17. Goal: Broaden our resources.
17.1 Objective: Develop a centrally coordinated volunteer program that includes training and recognition of volunteers.
17.2 Objective: Explore ways to increase resources through community and library partnerships.
17.3 Objective: Expand fundraising efforts.
17.4 Objective: Investigate entrepreneurial services that will increase financial resources.