- Our vision: To empower every voice in our community.
- Our mission: We share the information, services, and opportunities that fulfill Oak Park’s aspirations.
- Community aspirations: Literacy, education, diversity, inclusion, equity, health, safety, affordability.
Informed by community aspirations, the library’s three strategic priorities are engagement, learning, and stewardship. Download PDFs of the 2018 strategic plan and the 2019 strategic plan, approved by the Board of Library Trustees on November 27, 2018.
We are turned outward toward our community. We talk with our community members, we listen, and take action on what we learn. We are intentional about the choices we make.
Corresponding Values: Collaboration, Compassion, Gathering, Participation.
We are an organization committed to our own learning and to education and learning for everyone. We are a champion of open access to information. We provide the content that our community needs and expects.
Corresponding Values: Knowledge, Access, Literacy, Reading, Education, Opportunity, Intellectual Freedom.
We preserve and provide access to Oak Park’s history. We are committed to environmental sustainability. We are responsible and transparent in the wise use of our community’s resources.
Corresponding Values: Accountability, Preservation, Sustainability, Transparency.
- Act intentionally to ensure diversity, inclusion, equity, and safety. (Engagement)
- Lead our community in conversation about all its aspirations and values. (Engagement)
- Build a learning organization focused on empathy, curiosity, and adaptability. (Learning)
- Share spaces, opportunities, and content to increase key public literacies including early childhood, civic, digital, and financial. (Learning)
- Measure, evaluate, and communicate our impact. (Stewardship)
- Respect and preserve Oak Park’s capital, environmental, and historical resources. (Stewardship)