Registration open through May 13
Teens: Make new friends, learn new skills, and serve your community!
Starting the week of Monday, June 10, and continuing through Saturday, July 27, students going into (fall 2019) grades 7 and above can volunteer on teams serving the community in a variety of ways, including through art- and science-based activities (see team descriptions below). No experience or Oak Park residency required. Space is limited.
Who can participate?
- Students going into (fall 2019) grades 7 and above
What else do I need to know?
- For everyone under 18, permission forms must be signed by a parent/guardian and returned before teen participation begins.
- To learn more, contact High School Services Librarian Rachael Bild at 708.452.3471 and email@example.com.
Forum Theatre Troupe
Use improv techniques to create, rehearse, and perform a short play that explores problems in our society. Following a facilitated discussion, audience members will be invited to stop a scene and try different interventions to change the outcome. These methods might just help you change the world through imagining new responses to old problems! This team is great for youth who want to explore ideas around social justice and learn improv; no acting experience or skills required.
- Weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 11-July 25, 1:30-3:30 pm
- Performance to be held the week of July 22, exact day to be determined
- Main Library Veterans Room
Love art? Work with artist Tia Etu to create a mural to help beautify our community. This team will focus on teamwork and communication, as well as design.
- Daily on weekdays: Monday, June 17-Friday, June 28, 12-5 pm
- Main Library Idea Box
Show kids why science, technology, engineering, and math are fun! Design and construct projects like straw bridges or “elephant toothpaste.” Then, help students ask questions and explain evidence as they investigate and experiment. This team is great for those who want to teach, tinker, and explore. It does not require particular math or science skills.
- Weekly on Thursdays, June 13-July 25, 1:30-3:30 pm
- Main Library Storytime Room
- Orientation: Monday, June 10, 6-7 pm, Main Library Computer Classroom
VOLT: Volunteer Opportunities for Library Teens
Bring your talents and learn something new while you help keep the library functioning and work with community organizations. This team offers flexibility and choices, such as finding books, creating displays, making crafts, and more. This team is also an incubator—if you have an idea for a project to do, an organization to benefit, or a problem you’d like to address, let us know!
All teen volunteers are welcome! You do not need to commit to a consistent schedule.
- Weekly on Wednesdays, June 12-July 24, 3:30-5 pm and/or Saturdays, June 15-July 27, 10:30 am-12 pm
- Wednesdays: Main Library Veterans Room; Saturdays: Main Library Small Meeting Room
- Orientation: Thursday, June 6, 6:30-7:30 pm, Main Library Veterans Room