Keeping everyone safe and reading for fun is this summer’s goal! That’s why we’re offering a virtual version of our classic summer reading program. It’s super flexible, makes it easy to track your progress, and provides loads of ways to make learning fun!
'Imagine Your Story' this summer
- How will it work? Everything is online. Click the button below to register and start tracking your reading and activities.
- Who can participate? Everyone age 3 through rising 9th graders.
- When does the virtual program run? All summer long, from June 1 through August 31.
- Where do we track progress? From wherever you are, log in to Beanstack using a web browser and/or the Beanstack Tracker app (available on iOS and Android) to track progress in reading and activities.
Let's read 450,000 minutes together!
We have a big community goal this summer, and we hope you’ll help us reach it! All you have to do is read, be read to, or listen to audiobooks for 20 minutes a day to help us reach 450,000 minutes read. Check back weekly to see how we’re doing!
Digital title suggestions, by age & grade
Need book recommendations? Check out our title suggestions—all of which can be checked out digitally through Hoopla or Media on Demand & Libby with your Oak Park library card—for ages 3 through rising ninth graders. Looking for more picture books? Explore our favorite resources for digital picture books »
Don’t have an Oak Park account? Get instant access »
We also plan to have recommendations for podcasts and apps, because there are so many ways to bring stories alive and into your lives this summer!
Click on the “Register & track progress” button above to access Beanstack, an easy-to-use online tracking system. Adults can register themselves and multiple children under one username and password.
Yes! Kids ages three through rising kindergarteners can track their reading in Beanstack and get credit for Imagine Your Story and 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, a year-long and ongoing program for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. Learn more about 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten »
Beanstack is an easy-to-use online platform where you can track your reading and activities. Download the Beanstack Tracker app—available for iOS and Android—to your mobile device for convenient registration and logging.
Beanstack features include:
- Barcode scanner: Scan barcodes to quickly add titles to your log.
- Reading session timer: Record reading sessions to keep track of what you’re reading.
- Reading stats: View totals and averages of your time spent reading and titles read.
- Family accounts: Manage each member of your family’s reading log and view their stats.
For every hour logged, kids earn virtual badges and, as in past years, beads to build a necklace or keychain. Kids also can earn badges and beads for completing art, science, literature, and movement activities tailored to their ages, the majority of which are screen-free. Bead pickup or delivery will be arranged this summer.
Research has shown that kids who read over the summer keep their skills sharp and are better prepared for school in the fall, while recent research adds that kids who choose their own summer reading books lose even fewer skills over the summer. That makes summer the perfect time to help kids develop their own preferences and explore new and familiar genres at their own pace. When kids love what they read, they’ll love reading—now and in the future.