Exploring social-emotional learning
NEW SERIES! Social and emotional learning provides a foundation in areas such as self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and decision making. “It’s so important because it enhances and supports all other types of learning,” says Children’s Outreach and Programming Specialist Jenny Jackson.
Join us for one or both of these workshops for families with children ages 5-8 on Wednesdays at Dole Branch:
- Facet Kids features short and feature-length films from around the world, specially curated for kids ages 2–16 by the experts who bring you the annual Chicago International Children’s Film Festival! Oak Park is the first public library to partner with Facets, longtime award-winning Chicago film distributor, educator, and curator of independent, world, and classic film.Oak Park Public Library cardholders can now explore and watch from anywhere. Here’s how:
- Go to the Facet Kids login page and click “Library Login.”
- Click “Oak Park Public Library” from the drop-down.
- Sign in with your library card barcode and four-digit PIN, and start streaming.
- Kanopy Kids is an entirely new collection for children, highlighting films and TV series that help children develop empathy, mindfulness, and self-esteem through entertaining and educational videos. To ensure parents have clear guidelines on which films are age-appropriate, Kanopy has integrated Common Sense Media ratings on videos.
More than 50 different Discovery Kits offer activities in art and music, language arts, life science, math and engineering, physical science, and technology.
Playaway audiobooks are easy to use and offer educational benefits including increased reading comprehension, retention, vocabulary skills, phonemic awareness, and fluency.
Homework Help for Kids (online resources)
Check out our Homework Help for Kids section to access subscription-based online resources. These kid-focused digital resources are designed to make learning more interactive, more visual, and more fun! Homework Help for Kids »
A library card gives students from kindergarten through grade 6 access to the Homework Hub, a dedicated study room in Children’s Services on the Main Library’s first floor, stocked with supplies—such as workbooks, calculators, wipe boards, and an ADA-accessible computer installed with educational and special needs software. To reserve up to two hours a day, once a week, call us at 708.452.3420.
Museum Adventure Passes
Get passes for special offers and discounts to library cardholders at unique cultural destinations throughout the Chicago area. Participating destinations include kid-centric museums Bronzeville Children’s Museum, The Children’s Museum in Oak Lawn, and Legoland Discovery Center. More »