To get the most from your public library, a library card is essential. Here’s a short list of three great reasons why.
Three great reasons to get and use your library card
1. Hands-on learning builds stronger brains.
- Borrow Discovery Kits, full of play-and-learn activities that encourage kids to explore nature, make art, practice coding, and even learn to play the ukulele, and American Girl Dolls, each with their own journals, books, and accessories (and without an expensive price tag).
- Get offers and discounts to kid-friendly destinations, including the Bronzeville Children’s Museum, The Children’s Museum in Oak Lawn, and Legoland Discovery Center.
- Stream quality shows and movies, including global films from Facet Kids and films and TV shows that promote empathy, mindfulness, and self-esteem from Kanopy Kids.
2. Access equals opportunity.
- Borrow from a selection of nearly 8 million titles from 80 area libraries, check out up to 200 items at a time, and reserve up to 30 items so they are waiting for you at the library location of your choice. More about loan rules »
- Check out mobile hotspots to take with you. Use laptops and iPads on site. Print wirelessly from anywhere. Technology access »
- Get access to subscription-based resources that Google can’t offer when you’re researching employers and finding your next job. Job seeker resources »
5. The expert in the library is you.
- Search hundreds of resources all at once and find full-text results, using the catalog’s Article Search. Online resources »
- Can’t get it here? Have us find a title you want from almost any public library in the United States. Make a request »
- Get the materials you choose—or that we suggest for you, based on your interests—brought to your door. Home delivery »