On June 1, 2017, we eliminated overdue fines, increased the loan period for movies, and increased the number of times you can renew items for Oak Park Public Library materials. Read more about these changes to improve use, access, and equity around library resources »
Information here is for materials checked out at Oak Park Public Library locations. Materials checked out at other SWAN libraries are subject to those libraries’ loan rules.
- Books, audiobooks, magazines: 3 weeks
- Multicultural Collection books, videos, artifacts: 4 weeks
- Video formats (DVDs and Blu-ray Discs): 3 weeks
- Mobile hotspots: 1 week
- Digital collection items expire automatically
- Physical items: 200
- Digital items: varies by service. Explore your library’s digital options »
- Holds requests/simultaneous holds: 30
- Overdue items: If you have more than three items (4+) overdue at any one time, you will be blocked from using your library card to check out more items, access digital collections and online tools, place holds, reserve meeting spaces, and so on. When you return or pay for items to get below the threshold, you’ll regain your library card privileges.
- Eligible items checked out on your account will automatically renew up to five times.
- Hot Picks, items from the Multicultural Collection, devices and equipment, and any item on hold for another cardholder are not eligible for renewal.
- Two days before the due date, eligible items will automatically renew.
- If you have an email address listed on your account, you will get an email notifying you which items were automatically renewed, and which were not.
- Sign up for email notifications by asking a staff member in person at any library location, by phone during open hours, or by contacting us.
- You can always check due dates for all items using the “My Account” tab in the catalog.
- All three Oak Park Public Library buildings have returns inside, near each main entrance.
- Outside, a 24-hour curbside drive-through in Village Parking Lot 55 is accessible from North Boulevard (between Kenilworth and Oak Park avenues; see detailed map below).
- The Main Library has both a 24-hour item return and an automated check-in slot. Both are accessible via the library plaza next to Scoville Park.
- Maze Branch has a 24-hour book return and a separate A/V return just east of the building on Gunderson Avenue.
- Dole Branch has a 24-hour item return just north of the building on Augusta Street.
- We cannot accept replacement material for damaged or lost items.
- All material must be checked out before leaving the building.
- Most materials can be returned at any Oak Park or SWAN library.
- Any questions, please contact us »
- There are no fines for overdue materials checked out from the Oak Park Public Library
- Fees for never returned or damaged library items:
- List price
- Cash, checks, and major credit cards accepted, in person and online
- Never returned or damaged library items fees of $50 or more suspend an account and are sent to an external collection agency. A $10 fee is added by the collection agency. Repayment of this $10 is required to reactivate the library account.