Library Board approved January 16, 2008. Revised July 19, 2011. Revised November 26, 2019.
The purpose of this policy is to provide eligible employees with pay for holidays they are scheduled to work prorated by their number of regularly scheduled hours when the library is closed, and to provide eligible employees with pay for floating holidays to take time off to celebrate other holidays or special days when the library is open.
The library will be closed, and eligible employees will receive the following holidays off with pay:
- New Year’s Day ‐ January 1
- Memorial Day ‐ last Monday in May
- Independence Day ‐ July 4
- Labor Day ‐ first Monday in September
- Thanksgiving Day ‐ fourth Thursday in November
- Christmas Eve Day ‐ December 24
- Christmas Day ‐ December 25
Full-time and part-time employees regularly scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week on a consistent basis are entitled to receive holiday pay for the hours they would have been regularly scheduled to work on the holiday.
For full-time employees, when a holiday falls on a regularly scheduled day off, the employee may take an alternative day off, with approval from your immediate supervisor.
The library will be open, and eligible employees will receive four days off with pay per year prorated by their number of regularly scheduled hours.
Floating holidays may be taken at any time within the calendar year that is approved by the employee’s immediate supervisor. These floating holidays may include but are not limited to religious or cultural holidays, birthdays, other significant days, or any other state or federal holidays during which the library remains open.
Floating holidays are available at the beginning of each calendar year for all current, eligible employees. A new employee hired before the end of the first half of the calendar year will receive four floating holidays upon hire; a new employee hired during the second half of the calendar year will receive two floating holidays upon hire.
The following conditions apply to this policy:
- Holiday pay and floating holiday pay will not be considered as time worked for the purpose of overtime calculations.
- Holiday pay and floating holiday pay are computed at an individual employee’s base rate of pay.
- Holidays will not be paid to employees on inactive status (e.g., leave of absence).
- Floating holidays will not be carried over to the next calendar year, nor may they be cashed out if not taken.
- Holidays falling within an approved scheduled vacation will be recorded as holiday pay.