Special Collections curates specific cultural and heritage collections that reflect the unique values and enduring legacies of Oak Park. Special Collections makes digital items available through the Illinois Digital Archives. Special Collections also collaborates with community partners to make their historic collections accessible. See ArchivesSpace for inventories »
Interested in volunteering with Special Collections? Students should submit a cover letter and resume to Leigh Tarullo, Manager of Special Collections »
Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Ernest Hemingway High School Essay Collection »
- Ernest Hemingway Library Correspondence »
- Ernest Hemingway Rare Book Collection »
- Ernest Hemingway Ephemera Collection »
Frank Lloyd Wright
- Frank Lloyd Wright Correspondence »
- Gilman Lane Photograph Collection »
- Grant Manson Photograph Collection »
- William Allin Storrer Photograph Collection »
- Frank Lloyd Wright Rare Book Collection »
- Frank Lloyd Wright Ephemera Collection »
- Wasmuth Portfolio »
Grand Army of the Republic
- Grand Army of the Republic: Two bound volumes containing biographical information and photographs of local veterans who fought in the Civil War. Learn more about the library’s oldest items »
Legends of Our Time Collection
- Legends of Our Time was a 1996 oral history project produced in cooperation with Concordia University (River Forest). Please check the library catalog for circulating copies. Special Collections maintains the original audiovisual materials, transcripts, and supporting documentation.
The Local Authors Collection contains original works and related ephemera from authors and cultural figures from Oak Park.
- Local Authors Correspondence »
- Bernice Clifton Manuscript Collection »
- Mary Estelle Cook Manuscript Collection »
- Raymond F. Daboll Ephemera Collection »
- Gertrude Fox Hoagland Manuscript Collection »
- Paul Allen Holmes Manuscript Collection »
- Regina Zimmerman Kelly Collection »
- Harriette Gillem Robinet Collection »
- Dorothy and Joseph Samachson Manuscript Collection »
- Carol Shields Monograph Collection »
- John St. John Manuscript Collection »
- Robert St. John Manuscript Collection »
- Anna Louise Strong Collection »
Open Housing Movement
- The Oak Park Open Housing Movement works to ensure racial diversity in Oak Park. As a result, Oak Park became a national leader in being a free, open, and inclusive community.
Philander Barclay Photograph Collection
- Philander Barclay Photograph Collection: Philander Barclay is known as Oak Park’s first historian. His photographs document people and places of his time.
Scoville Institute and Oak Park Public Library Collection
- The Scoville Institute was the precursor to the Oak Park Public Library. The collection includes rare books from the Scoville Institute, interior and exterior photographs and negatives of library buildings, and early correspondence and artifacts.