We follow a librarians of practice model. Each librarian gears their talents for research, relationship-building, and local expertise around a specific topic which informs how librarians select and maintain collections, develop programming, and cultivate community partnerships. Meet our staff »
Community is at the heart of all we do, so we embrace an intentional process for listening to and learning about our community. Learn more about the Harwood practice »
We exist to empower every voice in our community, and we share the information, services, and opportunities to fulfill Oak Park’s aspirations. Tell us your library story »
We work often with our local government peers and nonprofits. See examples of how together, we’re building community »
The library sustains, shares, and respects community resources, including the natural environment. Learn more about environmental initiatives like our Main Library Green Roof and its two honeybee colonies »
Wonder what communities would be like without public libraries? Learn more about the public good that libraries provide »
Policies, trustees, budget
Mission, vision, strategic plan
- What we do: share the information, services, and opportunities that fulfill Oak Park’s aspirations.
- Why we do it: to empower every voice in our community.
- See the 2020 Strategic Plan »
- See the 2019 Year in Review »
These external statements help define and guide our everyday work.
- The Urban Library Council’s Race and Social Equity Statement (pdf) »
- Oak Park’s Diversity Statement, Collection Strategy Statement »
- The American Library Association’s: